Friday, July 27, 2012

Christian Q & A

For the record, I’m going to state the obvious and say that, yes, I am a Christian.  Since I’m writing this blog as an intellectual outlet, I want to address a few of objections that some non-Christians have raised to me over the years:


Q: Christianity is so exclusive – how can you believe that yours is the only way to heaven?
A: Well, first off, thanks for recognizing that there is a heaven; that’s a good first step.  Secondly, while we believe that Christ is the only way to heaven, we also contend that it is the easiest religion to join.  All you have to do is believe in Jesus as Savior.  Technically, one could do this with your last dying breath, after living a truly heinous life, and still go to heaven.  It is the belief that gains admission to heaven. 

Now, of course, since most of us came to Christ before our dying breath and as such want us to emulate Jesus in our daily lives, we will commit ourselves to live (as best we can) as a child of God.  Even so, it is that first act of faith that makes a Christian. 

Other religions have lists of thing you must do in order to gain admittance to heaven; you don’t do them, you won’t make it.  Followers of these faiths do their best and hope for the best.  So, yes, Christianity may seem exclusive, but in reality it is the most inviting and open to new membership of all.


Q: But what about people who lived in areas of the world and couldn’t possibly have heard about Jesus – are you saying they were doomed?
A: No.  This issue was actually addressed in the Bible in Paul’s letter to the Romans.  Paul claims that those who lived in areas where they’d never get to hear about Jesus could still identify God through creation.  As such, according to Paul, the world is without excuse.

I don’t claim to know how this works.  How does a ancient Polynesian differentiate the true God of Creation from the various pantheon of natural gods his fellow islanders worships, or how does an early Japanese recognize Him from any animist object?  All I know is that Paul says it is possible.  (Well, I also know that the Jewish patriarchs believed and were accounted as righteous in God's eyes, but that's a different matter.)
What I do know is that Jesus is the true way, whether a person knows his name or not.  I also know there are lots of things out there that are not the true way.  Given the eternal importance of getting to know God, why would I go with an unsure path when I’ve got one that is guaranteed?


Q: You’re not so perfect; why should I be like you?
A: You shouldn’t.  You’re right; I’m not so perfect, but I’m working on it.  The person you should be like is the one I’m trying to be like – Jesus.


Q: Why do you Christians hate so much?
A:  You’re perception is off; we don’t hate people.  In fact we love people.  Jesus told us to even love those that hate us.  In reality, I am only who I am by the grace of God; why would I hate those who have yet to experience that grace.  I also didn’t choose to be born into the body I have or when or where I was born, so I have no right to hate based on race or sex or nationality.  God chose those circumstances.


I hope these questions and answers clear up some issues.  You still may not agree with my answers, but understanding them lets you know more about where I’m coming from.

No comments:

Post a Comment