Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Bleak Views of the Future

Last week I went to see the latest Batman movie, The Dark Knight Rises.  While I don’t think the movie was meant to be political, I kept sensing that I was watching the logical extension of the Occupy Wall Street movement.

Beyond the dark feel of the movie, I started reflecting on a curious phenomenon: I’m going to speak in generalities here, but looking at Hollywood as an example, it seems that the more someone (or some group) looks to mankind to supply the answers for humanity’s future, the more likely that future will look bleak and uncertain.  And yet, as horrendous these outlooks are, the creators of these visions will insist that man can overcome anything.

Maybe the object is to show a future that is so bad that people will do anything to avert it or whether these people actually believe that kind of future is inevitable.  I think it is both: they believe it is inevitable but that mankind must still try any drastic action imaginable to at least try to stave off the worst.

Ironically, the Christian view of apocalypse is worse than almost any of these visions, yet Christians can remain optimistic because we believe that these horrors are a low point before the best of all endings – that Christ Himself returns to reign over the earth in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment